Monday 2 January 2017

BUSINESS AS USUAL

The rigorous celebrations of the New Year Eve party are over and having done away with the old year, New Year is ceremoniously ushered in with lot of fanfare. People drank and drank, danced and danced. By the time the New Year arrived, many were drawing strength from the alcohol they had consumed and many including Naradaa, were flat on wherever they fell, because of the alcohol they consumed.

Of course there were that minority who scoffed at wines on such an occasion.

All these activities one must admit, were tiring. So the New Year day was spent by most in a state of hangover either from the spirits or from the sheer dynamism that overtook their being,

Some of the more sensible ones slept through the day and was ready by the evening to continue from where they left off the previous night – or from early hours the morning.

There were a few other activities which were the side shows to this. Though many whatsapp forwards were sent and received individually or in groups, that was all in old year. So fresh forwards are sent in new year wishing that it – not the forward – but the New Year will be a Happy and Prosperous one. Some stuck to posting the old-fashioned cards; some put uploaded the wishes on their status on their facebook page; some sent emails and so on and so forth. Even after another day, even today the mails and messages are trickling in, but things are slowly being normalized.

So, I am here at ThattuKada Shish, the TKS the shorter form of the name many preferred, in anticipation of the cup of tea that would cheer and a few delicious dosas.

The banner outside TKS, wishing and hoping that God will bless us all, at least those who visits TKS, to have a Happy and Prosperous New Year, was decorated with those tiny lamps. Though it actually means that the more people visit the TKS, Shish will be Happy and Prosperous and people will be too, by side effect.

Shish was all excited and ready to tell me all.

N: So, tell me Shish, how it all went finally?

Sh: You were there. You saw how successful the whole party was.

N: True, I was there. But just before the New Year actually came in and lamps were switched off for that moment, I passed out and I did not know what happened later.

Sh: Oh, so you missed all the excitements just at that moment and later – the firecrackers and all? And you didn’t know that I with a couple of my workers carried you back home?

N: Not really? Oh, I didn’t know you would serve such strong alcoholic drinks. I wouldn’t have given licence for serving alcohol…..

Sh: But I … I am sure you had mixed drinks. I had so much variety that night, even I took that bottle you had stashed away –

N: You did? That was my Somras…. Anyway, so, what about yesterday?

Sh: Yesterday, not much business. It was OK because I did not also have dosa batter. I did not know that so many people would turn up and the Dosa batter finished. They wanted me to make more, they were ready to wait, but you know how impossible it was.

N: But you should have made more batter to start with, no? When it is such a big occasion?

Sh: But by the time, I realized, it was too late. You know the whole process. After the batter is ground, it should be fermented during the night. I didn’t expect any of you to come yesterday, but still some people came in the evening and wanted to continue partying from where they left off, but all went away when they knew that there are no drinks except tea and coffee.

N: So, you think it will be normal today?

Sh: After such a Dhamaka, how can things be normal today or even tomorrow? I am thinking whether to sell drinks on a regular basis. No, don’t get annoyed…..

N: No. I will not give you licence. Not even you send an application in triplicate, you don’t get licence for serving drinks.

Sh: But why?

N: Because I say so. For everything there are no questions. If we all finally decide to have democracy in NA, you can ask questions at that time.

Sh: What about if I am able to get some Somras….?

N: No. Not even somras. But why are you so worried? Start serving up your delicious dosas and then business will be as usual.

Sh: Are you sure?

N: Sure. Now, with my great sense of smell, I can say that  our dosas are on the way. Let us get to them…..

Of Course, We do not want to lag behind. Naradaa and Shishya wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year!


*****************

No comments:

Post a Comment