Tuesday 31 October 2017

DIVAKARETTAN


Yes, I admit.

Naradaa was lazy for quite some time, now. Lazier than the lazy chair.

But this morning, I was shaken out of my laziness. The morning brought me the news that Sri Pariyanampatta Divakarettan passed away. I used to call him Divakarettan though he was a few years younger to me.

As a kathakali lover ever since I could remember, I used to go to watch most of the Kathakali performances around. Kathakali became less frequent in my life after I left for higher studies and later to Mumbai and Delhi for work. But I never lost an opportunity watch a performance whenever a troupe performs in these places or during my holidays in Kerala.

It was during one of these holidays during my Delhi days, if I remember right, that I had seen Divakarettan perfrform. I remember meeting him in the aniyara (make-up room) and introducing myself.

After I came back from Indonesia in 1982, we used to meet in different places as he had become a regular presence on the stage.

While in Mumbai from 1982 to 1995, I was quite involved with Kathakali, wrote two Aattakkathas (Sathyavan-Savithri and Naranathu Bhranthan) and staged them in Mumbai thanks to Sri Kalamandalam C Gopalakrishnan and Kalakshethram, Dombivili.

Naranathu Bhranthan was again performed in Palakkad (Palakkad Kathakali Trust) in 1998, I think. It was at that time I had the opportunity to interact a lot with Divakarettan. Divakarettan was performing as ‘Naranathu Bhranthan’.

During 3 or 4 days of preparation, Divakarettan worked hardand read a lot I am sure, because during aattams he used a few more stories about Bhranthan and his brothers. During those rehearsals, singer Athippatta Ravi was also there along with Sri Sadanam Bhasi who, I think, performed as Bhadrakali.

‘Naranathu Bhranthan’ was a success in Palakkad and was well acclaimed by people and the press too. The biggest recognition came when immediately after the performance, someone from Chittoor ( a village close to Palakkad) requested us to perform the same in their village.

So, we performed it again in Chittoor after about two months with Divakarettan as ‘Naranathu Bhranthan’.

Divakarettan passed away. He was not at an age to go away like this. Who knows, God probably wanted a Veerabhadran there and so Divakarettan got a call. May his soul remain blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment