Saturday 18 November 2017

ThatsApp


Well, I wouldn’t blame you if you think it is a new App. In this world of ‘Apps’, what else it could be.

No, it is not an answer to the question WhatsApp. In fact, ‘WhatsApp’ is not a question at all. Like any other word, it is a word – a single word at that. And as you already know, it is an App and nothing else.

Don’t presume I am against Apps. In fact, there are many Apps that are very useful. I don’t even want to say which ones are useful and which ones are not, simply because I don’t want to offend anyone, lest it may cause demonstrations, protests and TV debates.

In fact, Apps are controlling our life, whether you like it or not. For making a payment, you have many Apps such as PayTm, Bhim etc. For payment to Railways, you can do it through an App by Railways. The banks have their own Apps. The hotel booking, ticket booking etc. can be done through Apps. The telephone companies – they are called network operators now – have their Apps. Who knows, the Cigarette shop next to your gate may launch its own App. No, I m not complaining. The more, the merrier. But what I want to write about is not about all those Apps.

I had started using WhatsApp a couple of years back. It is a great App for communication. Instant communication with near and dear ones, friends and others so physically far away can be contacted and communicated with instantly. It started with written or typed chatting, worked its way through voice chatting and has reached up to video chatting. I was very happy that communication became so easy compared to the days where we had to walk down a couple of kilometres, book a trunk call on telephone and wait till the call came through. Then started the group chatting.

I became a member of a few groups recently. Group chatting was also a very useful. You can track people (which in some cases may be an irritant...), you can reconnect with people who have gone out of our life for some time, you can send photos and videos etc.

It is about sending he photos and videos I want to talk about. The usefulness cannot be overstated. Especially when there is a marriage in the family that you couldn’t attend personally, you can receive instant comments and photos and videos. When your friends are on a Himalayan tour, you can get photos and videos of the Himalayas. And so many more...... But....

When all these facilities are over-utilised, it becomes a problem. The problem start with many 'Good Morning' messages which many of my friends and groups send with photos of bouquets etc. The photos and videos consume memory, I am told. So I have to delete them. Next are the forwards and rumours, with a request it to further forward it to others. These are also to be deleted. There are jokes which are good, which can start the mornings with a good laugh. I am in a professional group where the posts or uploads related and relevant to my profession are only about 1 %. Rest are all forwards. Some people turn so philosophical and keep posting advices, proverbs and spiritual thoughts about life...... and beyond sometimes.

Am I objecting to these? No. Again would I say more, the merrier? No. More is OK, not merrier.....

No comments:

Post a Comment